Lethargic IITian
Musings of a 20-something lethargic IITian on India and Catholicism.


Tuesday, April 08, 2003  

At that he said to them, "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God." (Mt 22:21)

When I think of the relationship between the Church and the State (or nation), this is always the verse that sticks in my mind. Why did God make nations? For the benefit of the people.

A ex-classmate of mine asks the question:



People want to be loyal to someone/something. They need motive for their actions. My solution is to make nationalism the religion of the country. And no damn fundamentalist can say that you have to be a Hindu/Muslim/Christian/Sikh/.... first before being an Indian. They will lose the respect they have from their people.


How much respect will I lose if I admit that I see myself as a Christian first and Indian next?

What does being a Christian mean?

"You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."
"You shall love your neighbor as yourself. "
(Mt 22:37,39)

To be Christian is to be filled with love for God and mankind.

Is this incompatible with being an Indian? Of course not!

Being an Indian means being the inheritor of the oldest heritage in the world. Being an Indian means being tolerant of people with differing views and cultures. Being an Indian means having a strong sense of Tradition, yet not imprisoned by it.

Where then would the divergence come? When/where would I have to make a choice between being Indian and being Christian?

When my leaders lead me into a war I do not see a reason for.
When my country commits atrocities on other nations that have no justification.
When my lawmakers pass laws that restrict the basic freedoms of men.

posted by Kensy | 2:43 AM
Comments: Post a Comment
archives
links
past blogs of interest
Hinduism as a religion
Pederasty and the American Church
Caste in Indian Christianity
Syro-Malabar engagements
Syro-Malabar weddings
Divine Retreat Centre
Varsha Bhosle and Ideological Relativism
Anti-Conversion Ordinance and the Church stance
Self-Righteous Rightism
The Hindutva Attack on St. Francis Xavier
Varsha Bhosle and the Church (U-turn)
Mail me! (replace the [AT] with an @)